One of the most important aspects of owning a property is ensuring its exterior looks appealing and well-maintained. One way of achieving this is by painting the exterior masonry. However, this is not just any paint job. It is crucial to use the right type of paint to ensure it lasts long and endures the ever-changing weather in the UK. Keep reading to find out how to choose the right exterior masonry paint for your home.
1. It is essential to choose the right type of masonry paint. There are three main types: mineral paint, acrylic paint, and silicone paint. Mineral paint is ideal for older buildings due to its breathable properties and is resistant to fungal growth. Acrylic paint is less breathable than mineral paint but more resistant to the elements. On the other hand, silicone paint is the most durable and can withstand harsh weather conditions. It is essential to choose a paint that matches the building’s structure and age.
2. Consider the finish you want. There are several options to consider, such as smooth, satin, and textured. Smooth finishes are great for modern buildings, while textured finishes are ideal for older buildings or those with imperfections. Satin finishes are an excellent option as they offer a balance of the two and are perfect for most homes.
3. Think about the colour scheme. Masonry paints come in a range of colours, but it is best to choose a colour that complements the surroundings to ensure the property looks beautiful. It is important to remember that light colours tend to fade faster than darker ones. Therefore, it is crucial to choose a high-quality paint that has been tested to withstand fading.
4. Choose the right quantity of paint needed for the job. Factors that determine the amount of paint required include the size of the surface to be painted, the absorbency of the surface, and the type of paint to be used. It is always better to buy more paint than needed to avoid running out halfway through the job and going back to the store for more.
5. Ensure you prepare the surface adequately before painting. This includes cleaning it thoroughly to remove dirt, algae, and lichen, which can affect the paint’s adhesion. Cracks in the surface should also be filled using a suitable filler. Applying a primer is essential to create a smooth and even surface for the paint. Following these steps will ensure the paint lasts long and ensures your property looks appealing.
Choosing the right exterior masonry paint is essential to ensure your property looks beautiful and withstands harsh weather conditions. Consider the type of paint, the finish, colour scheme, quantity of paint required, and surface preparation before you begin the job. Doing so will ensure the end result is beautiful and durable. Don’t forget, always use high-quality paint to ensure your property looks stunning for years to come.